Saturday 15 August 2015

Recipe: Rock Buns

This year was the 100 year centenary of Ben's school, which meant lots of fun and festivities.  Among this was a dress up day and a bake sale at the school fair.

The dressing up bit was relatively painless, thanks to ebay.


But the baking element ... well actually I had an idea for this before I was even asked.  You see 20+ years ago (ouch) we did exactly the same.  MY primary school took a step back to the Victorian age.  We dressed up, we had an experience day and we (well I guess my mum) did some baking.  What did she cook?  Rock Cakes (buns).


I distinctly remember dressing up and taking my basket of Rock Buns to Colne Valley Railway.  From what I remember these buns were slightly more rock then bun.  With this in mind my confidence was grown, even if I overcook these no one will notice :)



This recipe makes 12 but with a school fate to bake for (how many is stingy?) and knowing me and the boys would want some I doubled it, tho could easily have eaten 3 or 4 times as many.  They were scrummy and not like the rocks I used to remember.

Also they are really simple so even the kids can help out with the baking.

Ingredients

8oz self-raising flour
4oz butter
3oz caster sugar
1 splash milk
1 eggs
2oz sultanas (you could also use raisons, mixed fruit or chopped glace cherries)
dash of mixed spice


Method
Put oven on to Gas Mark 6/200C and grease a large baking tray.

Sieve flour into a bowl
Add butter and rub with fingertips until it looks like fine bread crumbs.


Stir in sugar and fruit, then add the egg.



Add enough milk until a stiff dough is produced


Blob onto a tray (makes around 12 good size bus.



Bake for around 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.



Right.... the shopping has arrived ........ guess what I'm off to bake.......tea anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment