Wednesday 1 April 2015

Our #budgetholiday ......... Keswick

Gosh my holiday seems so long ago now but I just remembered I barley made a dent in telling you all about it.

So Saturday, when we went to Grasmere  we also took a trip to Keswick to visit another place I remembered visiting with my mum ... The Pencil Museum.

The museum is home to the worlds first pencil, the longest coloured pencil, a giant, an escape artist’s
pencil and much more.  The museum explores, as you would expect the history of pencils and in particular the famous Derwent pencils.  Hubby really likes history so the displays were right up his alley whilst me and the boys completed an activity form (with our free Derwent Pencils).  They enjoyed playing the games they found and exploring all the different types of pencils including watercolours.  They requested some in the shop but the cheapest ones in store were around £20 and therefore a little out our price range!



The fun continued for them even after we finished in the museum, while we drank hot chocolate (and it was great hot chocolate) they played in the kids drawing area and had to be practically dragged out when it was time to leave.

It cost us £12.50 for a family ticket which I thought was great value, but I'm not sure the boys got a lot out of it at their age, for older children 8+ I'd say it's well worth a visit.

You can find put more about the Pencil Museum here.



  



We also came across a really cute little shop that I'd never seen anywhere before, Herdy.  Everything in this little shop is based around Herdwick sheep.  from egg cups to magnets, mugs to babygrows, cufflinks to tea light holders.  We could have spent soo much money if it hadn't been for the fact we'd not have managed to get it home.  The boys were also given a badge each when they left which was a lovely touch.



Lunch was from Greggs as kids and hubby were hungry (I wasn't).  I know the speed of life is not rushed when in the lake district but this Greggs store had about 5 people in front of me when I entered, by the time I paid I had almost lost the will to live as I am sure I was in that queue for at least 20 minutes.

All in all we had a really lovely time in this quite big market town.

No comments:

Post a Comment