Thursday 30 October 2014

Freshly harvested fruit and veg make the perfect .... dessert

If you were reading my blog the other week you'll have read all about how Tesco are passionate about bringing us seasonal flavours to enhance our meals.  Not only this but they like to ensure all their harvested fruit and vegetables is fresh and of the highest quality.  

You will already know that if you see the Red Tractor logo on their products you can be assured they are working with suppliers who have passed rigorous production standards to bring you the best possible food.  It's no secret where Red Tractor food comes from, you can trace it all back to the farm it originated on.

And of course you will already have seen that Tesco set some of their Orchard Club members a challenge, to use their freshly harvested products and let everyone know about them. 


You will have read how amazing our Sunday dinner was when I used their lovely fresh carrots and super buttery Finest Elfe Potatoes..... but there was something else I got to try that I'd not told you about yet ..... their Rocha Pears.

If  not you can find out all about it here.


That covered challenge 1 and 2... but here it is.... Challenge 3- Apples and Pears.

We rarely have pears as the boys aren't keen on the texture but after a few months of them I was rather appled-out.

After sitting in the fruit bowl untouched for a week (yup, there's a reason we don't buy pears) and thinking I was going to fail the challenge and have to throw them away I picked them up.  And they were still as fresh as the day we got them.  So I set to work creating an autumn pudding.  Now this was going to be the Banana and Pear crumble on the Tesco website but unfortunately the bananas hadn't survived as well as the pears and they did have to go in the bin.  Which left me with a bit of a dilemma..... and I did what all good foodies do in this situation ignored it raided the food cupboard.  And right at the back discovered some long forgotten about raisins, sadly relegated because apparently the ones that come in little boxes taste soo much better in packed lunches!

Now.... how to give it an autumnal flavour?  ohhh a tub of nutmeg that'll work.

The recipe




Take as many pears as you have and boil them up with some sugar until soft.
drain and throw in some raisins.  stir.

Place into a dish.





Either make a crumble or if you are too lazy busy like me then buy a packet mix.  into this mix add a sprinkling of nutmeg and then put in top of the pears/ raisins.

Put in the oven  until cooked.



Serve with custard.... yum!


The pears really were super juicy, very sweet and tasted great.

The boys thought it was just as yummy as I did, wonder if they will be brave enough to try pears next time I buy them?

Do you have a favourite pear recipe we can try?

Disclaimer:  I was given money off vouchers enabling me to get the above selection of vegetables for free as part of the Orchard at Tesco Programme.  The thoughts and opinions remain my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment